Renewing your passport in Canada is a necessary process that you need to undertake if your passport is about to expire. The process may seem daunting, but with the right information, it can be a smooth and stress-free experience. In this article, we will take you through the steps you need to follow to renew your passport in Canada.
Eligibility to Renew Passport Canada
Before you start the renewal process, you need to confirm that you are eligible. To renew your passport in Canada, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a Canadian citizen.
- Your current passport must be valid or expired for no more than one year.
- Your current passport must not have been reported lost or stolen.
If you meet the above criteria, you can proceed to renew your passport.
Documents Required to Renew Passport Canada
To renew your passport in Canada, you will need the following documents:
- Your current passport
- Two identical passport photos were taken within the last six months. The photos must be taken by a professional photographer and meet specific criteria, such as the size, background, and facial expression.
- The renewal fee. The fee varies depending on the type of passport and processing time you choose.
- A completed application form. The form can be downloaded from the Government of Canada website or obtained from a Passport Office or Service Canada Centre.
How to Renew Passport Canada
The following are the steps you need to follow to renew your passport in Canada:
Step 1: Gather the Required Documents
Collect all the necessary documents listed above.
Step 2: Fill Out the Application Form
Fill out the application form using black ink and block letters. Ensure that you provide accurate and complete information.
Step 3: Submit the Application and Pay the Fee
You can submit your application and pay the fee online or in person at a Passport Office or Service Canada Centre. If you choose to submit your application online, you can pay using a credit card or Interac Online. If you choose to submit your application in person, you can pay using a credit card, debit card, cash, or a certified cheque or money order.
Step 4: Submit Your Current Passport
If you apply in person, you will need to submit your current passport with your application. If you apply online, you will receive instructions on how to submit your current passport.
Step 5: Wait for Your New Passport
The processing time for a passport renewal in Canada varies depending on the type of passport and processing time you choose. You can check the status of your application online.
Tips for a Successful Passport Renewal
Here are some tips that can help you have a successful passport renewal:
- Start the process early. It is recommended to renew your passport at least six months before it expires.
- Ensure that your passport photos meet the specific criteria.
- Double-check that you have provided accurate and complete information on the application form.
- Keep a copy of your application form and receipt.
- Check the status of your application online.
Renewing your passport in Canada can be a straightforward process if you follow the right steps and have all the necessary documents. By using this guide, you can be sure to have a successful passport renewal and enjoy hassle-free travel.